Originally posted by kylecassidy at Casting Call for Two Children Plus Weird Things Happening
Two, Really Weird Thing happened last night.
Trillian and I stayed up till midnight watching LOST which is finally starting to get strange, we went to bed & locked the bedroom door (as is our habit.) The cats couldn't be coaxed into the room because, you know, it's hot and miserable in the rest of the house and they wanted to lay around like tortured artists.
I woke up at 4:30 and couldn't get back to sleep. Got up, checked my email, posted an old photo of Roswell to Twitter, finally went back to bed around 5:30 and had a series of really fast & strange dreams, I'd wake up after each one and immediately fall back to sleep and instantly back into a dream. I don't remember any of them, but I know they were at least semi lucid. I finally woke up around 7:30 in the morning and got out of bed and there, on the night stand, next to the lamp was a dead bird.
"Trillian," I said, "there's a dead bird here."
She sat up and looked over on the night stand; at the time I wasn't really sure that I wasn't still asleep. The look on her face confirmed that I wasn't hallucinating. It looked like someone had carefully laid it there, centered on a lace doily. I picked it up -- it was dead, but still warm. We checked the windows, they were closed and so were the doors. I looked out into the hallway & all the cats were passed out on the carpet looking like unfortunate throw rugs.
About four months ago we had a bird come down the chimney -- it drove Roswell insane. She could hear it flitting around in there and finally it shot out and flew through the house like a freaked out tennis ball, frantically banging into things. I opened a window and it shot out. The only thing I can figure is another one got in the house through the chimney flew frantically around the house without us noticing made its way upstairs into our bedroom and ... stayed there quietly (sitting on a bust of Pallas?) until seven in the morning and then dropped dead of unknown causes without making a sound.
It seems like a stretch, but short of Voodoo priests or reverse-bird-burglars, it's the only thing I can think of. I wrapped the bird up and took it outside but at the last minute brought it back in and took a photo, just in case I wake up tomorrow and can't remember if it actually happened or not.
It did. There's a dead bird on my coffee table.
If you have any theories about this locked door mystery, I'd love to hear them.
Click for high res
Add me as a friend on LiveJournal, Add me on Facebook, Follow me on Twitter.
I wandered away from a Very Fun room party, down to the river's edge. Seated on a bench beside the rushing water, alone in the dark, I abruptly decided it would be a Very Good Idea to photograph my own foot. Mia's Arch Nemesis, "The Foot" herself, deserves credit for this flash of inspiration....as well as the copious quantities of Toxic Waste served at aforementioned room party:
EXHIBIT #2: MisCon, May 2009
While dancing barefoot at a room party, I stepped on something sharp. The resulting laceration bled profusely and required my professional skills. Carolyn documented my pressure dressing of toilet paper & duct tape:
EXHIBIT #3: June 2003
1) In bed. 2) scantily clad. 3) restrained.
My friend, author Maggie Bonham aka shadowhelm , is acquainted with Vera Nazarian of Norilana Books. Vera is a speculative fiction author, publisher, and founder of Norilana Books, an independent press, with 213 titles in print. I've never had the good fortune to meet Vera, but Maggie posts, "She's a lovely person and I would never wish (such misfortune on) anyone, let alone her."
In summary, Vera is facing foreclosure due to a series of truly unfortunate events (a fradulent lawsuit, mother's illness, father's death and sub-prime mortgage.) It is hoped to raise $11,229.72 to help Vera save her house. Efforts include donations, spreading the word, and/or participating in the charity auction.
READ VERA'S STORY HERE.
I was very touched by this. There is a LJ community, HelpVera. Rose, HelpVera's mod, posts, "Thank you, thank you, and thank you again. Even the smallest donations are a blessing."
1. Started your own blog
2. Slept under the stars
3. Played in a band
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Climbed to the summit of Half Dome
7. Been to Disneyland
8. Climbed a mountain
9. Held a praying mantis
10. Sang a solo
11. Bungee jumping
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty (well, as far as the public is now allowed to go, which is the top of the base)
18. Grown your own vegetables
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitch hiked
23. Taken a sick day when you're not ill
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Run a Marathon
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run
32. Been on a cruise (does a lake cruise count?)
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught yourself a new language
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelo's David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had your portrait painted
48. Gone deep sea fishing
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkelling
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud
54. Gone to a drive-in theatre
55. Been in a movie
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies (what about Camp Fire Mints?)
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
65. Gone sky diving
66. Waded in the Atlantic Ocean
67. Bounced a check
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favourite childhood toy
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten caviar
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car
83. Walked in Jerusalem
84. Had your picture in the newspaper
85. Read the entire Bible
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
88. Had chickenpox
89. Saved someone's life
90. Sat on a jury
91. Met someone famous
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone
99. Been stung by a bee
100. Read an entire book in one day
(props to nenya_kanadka aka Asicho!)